Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Recover nvida driver on ubuntu 12.10

I have a GTX260 on my desktop. And yesterday I was playing around with "Addiion Drivers" in Software Update, and accidentally change the driver to something doesn't work for me.

So when I start my computer today it shows very disappointing 800 x 640

Anyway, I recovered the driver with following steps:

1. open a terminal Ctrl + Alt + t
2. install headers and sources for 12.10
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers
    sudo apt-get install linux-source
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

3. update nvidia-current
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

4. grep to see if nvidia-current is loaded now. If not, try to loaded it
    sudo depmod -a    // build modules dependency list
    sudo modprobe nvidia-current

5. reboot
   someone may argue you can just "sudo restart lightdm", but that doesn't work for me.

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment